Officials break up cheese ring
SANTA TERESA, N.M. (AP) - January 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- The contraband discovered at the border wasn't drugs -- but cheese.
Federal agents working the Santa Teresa, New Mexico, port of entry report seizing 230 pounds of cheese.
Authorities say the stash of queso was confiscated because it's a commercial-sized import.
Individuals can bring across personal quantities of cheese, but officials say that's more in the range of about 10 pounds.
Officials add the cheese was destroyed.
The man who brought it across the border in his pickup was fined 300 bucks.
new mexico, food, smuggling, bizarre bazaar
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student death 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens 29 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash 59 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 24 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos