Roaming cows create havoc at cemetery
SOUTHAMPTON, Mass. (AP) - January 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- The vandals that damaged a Massachusetts cemetery this week have pleaded "moo."
Police say a small herd of cows knocked over 40 American flags and veterans' bronze grave markers, then snacked on a few flower arrangements, at the Center Cemetery in Southampton on Monday.
Motorists called to report that the cows were loose. Police contacted the owner, Henry Wykowski, who caught and removed the cows from the cemetery.
Chief David Silvernail says the cows are an "ongoing problem," and his department has responded to complaints about the roaming bovines three or four times since last spring.
Cemetery Commission member Robert Floyd tells a local newspaper that he plans on asking the farmer to pay for the damage once he comes up with an estimate.
massachusetts, animals, bizarre bazaar
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over 21 min ago
- Burglary suspect nabbed by quick-thinking neighbor
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth