Book returned 55 years late, with $100
NEW YORK (AP) - February 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- A long overdue book has finally been returned to the New York Public Library - 55 years late.
A local newspaper says the biography of a 16th-century priest called "Fire of Francis Xavier" was checked out of the Fort Washington branch in upper Manhattan on April 10, 1958.
Library manager Jennifer Zarr tells the newspaper the book arrived at the library on Monday wrapped in a plain brown envelope with a check for $100 to cover the dues inside.
She says library records don't go back to 1958 and there's no way to trace who borrowed the book. She won't reveal the name on the check.
new york, new york city, bizarre bazaar
- Snow today, heavy at times 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 21 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq. 16 min ago
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton 25 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in Norristown 47 min ago
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
7 min ago
- David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
16 min ago
- Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
25 min ago
- John Rawlins on snow in Norristown
47 min ago