Israel's Netanyahu freezes ice cream expenditures
JERUSALEM (AP) - February 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Following an Israeli newspaper's scoop, the country's prime minister has "frozen" his annual ice cream budget.
Benjamin Netanyahu's office on Sunday said once he was made aware of the state-financed contract issued to purchase ice cream from his favorite Jerusalem parlor he ordered it stopped immediately. Netanyahu called the contract "excessive and unacceptable."
The Israel economic publication "Calcalist" published a list of items on the prime minister's annual expense budget, including $2,700 for ice cream.
Following the publication, Israelis flocked to the "Metudela" ice cream shop near the prime minister's residence to check out his alleged favorite flavors: pistachio and vanilla.
The prime minister's office said the cost included hosting high-ranking officials at the official residence. Still, it offered a rare peek into the personal life of the private Netanyahu.
jerusalem, israel, bizarre bazaar
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 51 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 34 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry 33 min ago