Israel's Netanyahu freezes ice cream expenditures
JERUSALEM (AP) - February 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Following an Israeli newspaper's scoop, the country's prime minister has "frozen" his annual ice cream budget.
Benjamin Netanyahu's office on Sunday said once he was made aware of the state-financed contract issued to purchase ice cream from his favorite Jerusalem parlor he ordered it stopped immediately. Netanyahu called the contract "excessive and unacceptable."
The Israel economic publication "Calcalist" published a list of items on the prime minister's annual expense budget, including $2,700 for ice cream.
Following the publication, Israelis flocked to the "Metudela" ice cream shop near the prime minister's residence to check out his alleged favorite flavors: pistachio and vanilla.
The prime minister's office said the cost included hosting high-ranking officials at the official residence. Still, it offered a rare peek into the personal life of the private Netanyahu.
jerusalem, israel, bizarre bazaar
- School Closings & Delays
- Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video: Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions 8 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins reports on a slushy start 7 min ago
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot 27 min ago
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions
8 min ago
- John Rawlins reports on a slushy start
7 min ago
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
27 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos