Belgians hunt boar: No contest, animals win
BRUSSELS (AP) - February 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Belgians went on a boar hunt and at first it looked like no contest: 200 hunters vs. 170 wild boars. Yet in the end, only one boar was slain.
As hunter Jef Schrijvers said after a frustrating day: "The boars won. The hunters lost."
The northern town of Postel had organized the hunt because an explosive increase in the boar population had damaged farm fields and woods and caused rural traffic problems.
In a coordinated swoop, the hunters sought to drive the boars together so that marksmen in high positions could shoot them, but the plan didn't work.
Schrijvers told the VRT television network that "the hunt was perfect, safe and correct. Only the result was disappointing."
He called it a "successful general rehearsal" ahead of similar hunts.
belgium, animals, bizarre bazaar
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard 40 min ago
- A Nice Stretch 44 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Robbery suspect on the loose in Lower Merion 12 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Computer outage delays travelers at Phila. Airport
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint
- Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
- Philly deputy mayor: City not liable for demo sites
- Rollings Stones review: How old is too old?