Belgians hunt boar: No contest, animals win
BRUSSELS (AP) - February 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Belgians went on a boar hunt and at first it looked like no contest: 200 hunters vs. 170 wild boars. Yet in the end, only one boar was slain.
As hunter Jef Schrijvers said after a frustrating day: "The boars won. The hunters lost."
The northern town of Postel had organized the hunt because an explosive increase in the boar population had damaged farm fields and woods and caused rural traffic problems.
In a coordinated swoop, the hunters sought to drive the boars together so that marksmen in high positions could shoot them, but the plan didn't work.
Schrijvers told the VRT television network that "the hunt was perfect, safe and correct. Only the result was disappointing."
He called it a "successful general rehearsal" ahead of similar hunts.
belgium, animals, bizarre bazaar
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos