Belgians hunt boar: No contest, animals win
BRUSSELS (AP) - February 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- Belgians went on a boar hunt and at first it looked like no contest: 200 hunters vs. 170 wild boars. Yet in the end, only one boar was slain.
As hunter Jef Schrijvers said after a frustrating day: "The boars won. The hunters lost."
The northern town of Postel had organized the hunt because an explosive increase in the boar population had damaged farm fields and woods and caused rural traffic problems.
In a coordinated swoop, the hunters sought to drive the boars together so that marksmen in high positions could shoot them, but the plan didn't work.
Schrijvers told the VRT television network that "the hunt was perfect, safe and correct. Only the result was disappointing."
He called it a "successful general rehearsal" ahead of similar hunts.
belgium, animals, bizarre bazaar
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ