Woman, 104, forced to lie about age on Facebook
GROSSE POINTE SHORES, Mich. (AP) - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Facebook is apologizing for a problem that makes a 104-year-old Michigan woman lie about her age on the social media website.
Marguerite Joseph's granddaughter says Facebook won't let Joseph list her real age.
Gail Marlow says when she tries inputting her grandmother's birth year as 1908, Facebook changes it to 1928. So for the past two years, the Grosse Pointe Shores centenarian has remained 99 - online, anyway.
Joseph is legally blind and can't hear well, but Marlow reads and responds to all her Facebook messages.
Marlow tells a local televisionstation that she'd "love to see" Joseph's real age posted and chalks it up to "a glitch in the system."
Facebook spokesman Andrew Noyes told The Associated Press on Wednesday that it's working to fix a problem limiting used of pre-1910 birthdates.
michigan, facebook, bizarre bazaar
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident 9 min ago
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 5 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver ID'd in fatal Washing Twp. accident
9 min ago