Woman, 104, forced to lie about age on Facebook
GROSSE POINTE SHORES, Mich. (AP) - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Facebook is apologizing for a problem that makes a 104-year-old Michigan woman lie about her age on the social media website.
Marguerite Joseph's granddaughter says Facebook won't let Joseph list her real age.
Gail Marlow says when she tries inputting her grandmother's birth year as 1908, Facebook changes it to 1928. So for the past two years, the Grosse Pointe Shores centenarian has remained 99 - online, anyway.
Joseph is legally blind and can't hear well, but Marlow reads and responds to all her Facebook messages.
Marlow tells a local televisionstation that she'd "love to see" Joseph's real age posted and chalks it up to "a glitch in the system."
Facebook spokesman Andrew Noyes told The Associated Press on Wednesday that it's working to fix a problem limiting used of pre-1910 birthdates.
michigan, facebook, bizarre bazaar
- School Closings & Delays
- Tracking More Snow 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man abducted, robbed and shot in Rhawnhurst 6 min ago
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Tracking More Snow
3 min ago
- Katherine Scott reports on the storm...
12 min ago
- John Rawlins reports from Cherry Hill on...
5 min ago
- Man abducted, robbed and shot in Rhawnhurst
6 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos