Woman, 104, forced to lie about age on Facebook
GROSSE POINTE SHORES, Mich. (AP) - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Facebook is apologizing for a problem that makes a 104-year-old Michigan woman lie about her age on the social media website.
Marguerite Joseph's granddaughter says Facebook won't let Joseph list her real age.
Gail Marlow says when she tries inputting her grandmother's birth year as 1908, Facebook changes it to 1928. So for the past two years, the Grosse Pointe Shores centenarian has remained 99 - online, anyway.
Joseph is legally blind and can't hear well, but Marlow reads and responds to all her Facebook messages.
Marlow tells a local televisionstation that she'd "love to see" Joseph's real age posted and chalks it up to "a glitch in the system."
Facebook spokesman Andrew Noyes told The Associated Press on Wednesday that it's working to fix a problem limiting used of pre-1910 birthdates.
michigan, facebook, bizarre bazaar
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 13 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 52 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
13 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
57 min ago