106-year-old man gets high school diploma
BEVERLY, Mass. (AP) - March 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 106-year-old Massachusetts man who had to drop out of school before the ninth grade to support his mother and five siblings has finally earned his high school diploma.
Fred Butler was awarded his honorary diploma Monday during an emotional ceremony attended by school officials and Beverly Mayor Bill Scanlon.
Butler thanked "everybody who is responsible for this."
The lack of diploma did not hold him back.
He was married for 65 years, raised five children, served in the U.S. Army during World War II and worked for the city's water department.
But daughter-in-law Cathy Butler says he always regretted dropping out and always emphasized the importance of education to his children and grandchildren.
Fred Butler was concerned he didn't earn the diploma, but Scanlon said it was well deserved.
massachusetts, school, bizarre bazaar
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion 10 min ago
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls 16 min ago
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill 18 min ago
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted 59 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 5 min ago
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?