106-year-old man gets high school diploma
BEVERLY, Mass. (AP) - March 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 106-year-old Massachusetts man who had to drop out of school before the ninth grade to support his mother and five siblings has finally earned his high school diploma.
Fred Butler was awarded his honorary diploma Monday during an emotional ceremony attended by school officials and Beverly Mayor Bill Scanlon.
Butler thanked "everybody who is responsible for this."
The lack of diploma did not hold him back.
He was married for 65 years, raised five children, served in the U.S. Army during World War II and worked for the city's water department.
But daughter-in-law Cathy Butler says he always regretted dropping out and always emphasized the importance of education to his children and grandchildren.
Fred Butler was concerned he didn't earn the diploma, but Scanlon said it was well deserved.
massachusetts, school, bizarre bazaar
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 50 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 7 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 41 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 53 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
16 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
50 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
41 min ago