Police dog digging in snowbank fires gun
LAWRENCE, Mass. (AP) - March 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a dog searching for a gun in a snowbank accidentally pulled the trigger with its paw, firing the weapon.
No humans -or dogs - were hurt.
The episode started at about 2 a.m. Sunday when an officer on patrol heard three gunshots. When the officer went to investigate, he saw a vehicle speed away.
When the car pulled over, police saw a man leap out and bury something in the snow.
Ivan, a dog handled by the Essex County Sheriff's Department, was called to the scene to find whatever was buried in the snow. Police say he started digging furiously and fired the gun.
Three men were arrested and police determined the gun had been stolen in Manchester, N.H., in October.
massachusetts, animals, dogs, guns, bizarre bazaar
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today 4 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 25-year-old man shot dead in North Philadelphia 6 min ago
- Teen shot multiple times in Feltonville 8 min ago
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- Police: Driver under influence crashes into fire dept.
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure