Burglar tracked by pickax bar code
METAIRIE, La. (AP) - March 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Louisiana say they tracked a man accused of stealing drugs from a pharmacy because he left behind a pickax he used to break in - and forgot to remove the price tag.
Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Col. John Fortunato says the sticker included a bar code indicating when and where the pickax was bought. The store had video of the purchase.
Fortunato tells a local newspaper that a store near the pharmacy had surveillance video from the night of the burglary, showing the same man and a vehicle license plate.
Fortunato says drugs from the pharmacy were found during a search of 43-year-old Scott Rodrigue's home.
Rodrigue was booked with pharmacy burglary and drug possession and freed on $70,000 bond. He does not have a listed phone number and could not be reached.
louisiana, dumb criminals, burglary, bizarre bazaar
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 52 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 45 min ago
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
5 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos