Speeding dad ignores police with baby coming
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - March 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- An Iowa man who was pulled over for speeding as he rushed his pregnant wife to the hospital said he was determined to keep going despite the police lights flashing behind him.
Tyler Rathjen planned to keep going as his wife, Ashley, began giving birth to their son in the passenger seat. But a red light with heavy traffic finally forced him to stop.
"I should not stop, I'm not going to, I'm going to get to the hospital," Tyler Rathjen recalled thinking in an interview with a Cedar Rapids TV station.
The baby's head and arms were already out by the time Iowa City Officer Kevin Wolfe reached the passenger door.
"We were all having a different experience," Wolfe said.
Ashley Rathjen gave birth to her third son, Owen, just blocks from Mercy Iowa City hospital on March 10.
"I kept saying: there's no break (in contractions) there's no break," she said. "He was coming at that time."
Wolfe helped with the final steps of delivery and then escorted the Williamsburg family to the hospital. His dashboard camera captured the episode.
Owen is now home with his parents and two brothers.
Ashley Rathjen said her newborn son will probably retell the story for years to come.
"I'm sure it will be a life story to tell everybody (about) how he made his grand entrance," she said.
iowa, hospitals, police, bizarre bazaar
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 53 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run 23 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
53 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos