Speeding dad ignores police with baby coming
IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) - March 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- An Iowa man who was pulled over for speeding as he rushed his pregnant wife to the hospital said he was determined to keep going despite the police lights flashing behind him.
Tyler Rathjen planned to keep going as his wife, Ashley, began giving birth to their son in the passenger seat. But a red light with heavy traffic finally forced him to stop.
"I should not stop, I'm not going to, I'm going to get to the hospital," Tyler Rathjen recalled thinking in an interview with a Cedar Rapids TV station.
The baby's head and arms were already out by the time Iowa City Officer Kevin Wolfe reached the passenger door.
"We were all having a different experience," Wolfe said.
Ashley Rathjen gave birth to her third son, Owen, just blocks from Mercy Iowa City hospital on March 10.
"I kept saying: there's no break (in contractions) there's no break," she said. "He was coming at that time."
Wolfe helped with the final steps of delivery and then escorted the Williamsburg family to the hospital. His dashboard camera captured the episode.
Owen is now home with his parents and two brothers.
Ashley Rathjen said her newborn son will probably retell the story for years to come.
"I'm sure it will be a life story to tell everybody (about) how he made his grand entrance," she said.
iowa, hospitals, police, bizarre bazaar
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish 7 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar