Ye olde apple trees
STAUNTON, Va. (AP) - April 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- It's the type of apple William Shakespeare might have eaten.
Virginia environmental studies professor Jon Cawley is planting rare apple trees.
One is a bardsey apple, with roots that go back about 1,000 years to Elizabethan England.
The Roanoke College prof tells the News Leader he hopes to create a genetic bank to help preserve the trees for another thousand years.
virginia, food, bizarre bazaar
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- SEPTA bus strikes and kills man
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish