Man tries to blame DUI on grandma
ROCHESTER, Pa. (AP) - May 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a western Pennsylvania man tried to blame his drunken driving on his grandmother. The only problem is, she wasn't there.
Twenty-two-year-old John Ventresca Jr., of Center Township, faces a preliminary hearing Tuesday on drunken driving and other charges stemming from the incident on March 2.
That's when Rochester police were called to a convenience store after witnesses saw Ventresca pull into a parking lot, but not before striking other cars and hitting a pole in front of the store.
When police arrived, they say Ventresca told them his grandma had been driving and that she was using the store's restroom. He explained the erratic driving by saying the woman had a broken shoulder and was taking pain pills.
Police charged Ventresca after finding the woman wasn't in the rest room - or anywhere else nearby.
pennsylvania, alcohol, DUI, dumb criminals, bizarre bazaar
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex
- Lots of sun, chilly today 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in Bordentown, N.J.
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos