9 may miss prom over no chickenpox vaccine
IRWIN, Pa. (AP) - May 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Nine students in one western Pennsylvania school district may miss their high school prom because they were found not to have the chickenpox vaccine.
The Pennsylvania Department of Health notified the Norwin School District that one student has the highly contagious virus, prompting school officials to pull student immunization records.
Thirty-three students were found to not have the vaccine, though at least one had been vaccinated later Thursday, after the school district sent a letter home to parents and posted the health department information on its website.
Norwin's prom is Friday night.
School officials say students without the vaccine also can't attend classes through the incubation period that runs through May 28. The can return to school before then if a blood test proves they're immune or if they get the vaccine by Sunday.
pennsylvania, school, students, bizarre bazaar
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J. 21 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering 28 min ago
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos 12 min ago
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle 8 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in...
12 min ago
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in...
21 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos