Ice from lake pushed ashore to doorsteps
LAKE MILLE LACS, Minn. (AP) - May 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- Strong winds have pushed huge ice sheets ashore at a northern Minnesota lake and right up to people's doorsteps.
A local television station reports that the ice from Lake Mille Lacs reached the doors and windows at the Izatys Resort on Saturday morning.
National Weather Service Meteorologist Shawn Devinny says 30 to 40 mile an hour winds pushed the water into the ice, driving it ashore. He says the winds were lighter Sunday and the shoreline got a reprieve.
The Department of Natural Resources says about 10 miles of shoreline are covered, with some reaching up to 30 feet high.
minnesota, ice storm, trending
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 4 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend! 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft 26 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting 31 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run 42 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
37 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
4 min ago
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart...
26 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton...
31 min ago
Press Your Luck
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos