Not a smart way to kick the habit
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - May 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- She tried to kick the habit - by slapping a cop.
Etta May Lopez decided it would be easier to give up smoking if she was someplace where it isn't allowed.
But how do you get to jail if you haven't done anything wrong?
Lopez had that covered, too.
She went up to a Sacramento, California sheriff's deputy and slapped him in the face as he left the main jail at the end of his shift.
That earned her a trip inside the jail - where Lopez slapped the officer again, this time on his arm.
Lopez pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery on a peace officer - and was sentenced to 63 days in jail - which should give her enough to abandon the smokes.
Meanwhile the deputy, Matt Campoy, says he's been given a new Irish nickname: Nick O'Derm.
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video 29 min ago
- Wet to Wintry! 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line 4 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon 7 min ago
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea 38 min ago
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled 43 min ago
- High wings bring damage to Abington Twp. 46 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught...
29 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish...
4 min ago
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston...
7 min ago