Not a smart way to kick the habit
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - May 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- She tried to kick the habit - by slapping a cop.
Etta May Lopez decided it would be easier to give up smoking if she was someplace where it isn't allowed.
But how do you get to jail if you haven't done anything wrong?
Lopez had that covered, too.
She went up to a Sacramento, California sheriff's deputy and slapped him in the face as he left the main jail at the end of his shift.
That earned her a trip inside the jail - where Lopez slapped the officer again, this time on his arm.
Lopez pleaded no contest to misdemeanor battery on a peace officer - and was sentenced to 63 days in jail - which should give her enough to abandon the smokes.
Meanwhile the deputy, Matt Campoy, says he's been given a new Irish nickname: Nick O'Derm.
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 44 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 1 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act