Chef set to feast on cicadas during invasion
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Connecticut chef Bun Lai is already known for his Mexican grasshopper dish and his fried rice with meal worms and crickets. But he might soon also be recognized as the cicada chef.
Lai, owner of Miya's Sushi, tells a local newspaper that he plans to fill a big freezer full of Brood II cicadas, once the red-eyed bugs' 17-year life cycle brings them above ground for about five weeks.
"I'm going to catch a whole bunch of them and preserve them for future eating," he said. "I plan on eating a whole bunch of them myself."
Lai said cicadas, and insects in general have great nutritional value and are "healthier for our bodies than eating meat."
He plans to feature the cicada in some theme dishes, steaming some of the bugs and boiling others, with the appropriate spices and herbs.
"I don't want to take something that's inherently nutritious and deep fry it," he explained. "If I'm going to interrupt this amazing, 17-year life cycle, I'm going to honor it and respect it."
Lai tells the Register that he sees it as a challenge to take something that's abundant and nourishing and make it appealing, not to mention tasty.
"I'm not trying to gross people out," he said. "I'm not running a frat house. I respect the cicada."
connecticut, food, trending
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 51 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 28 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 20 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 24 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 13 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
15 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
33 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
30 min ago