AP: Hershey plans solo bid for Cadbury
HARRISBURG, Pa. - January 13, 2010 -- The Hershey Co. is assembling a solo bid to acquire British candymaker Cadbury PLC without the help of Italian candymaker Ferrero International, a person familiar with Hershey's plans told The Associated Press on Wednesday.
The company has been working on parallel bids for Cadbury - one with Ferrero and one on its own. A potential bid is still being crafted, the person said.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak publicly about the matter.
The person told AP that Hershey has hoped to avoid a bidding war by waiting until Cadbury's shareholders decide on a competing $16.5 billion bid by Kraft Foods Inc.
Kraft has until Feb. 2 to win support from a majority of shareholders. Its deadline to increase its bid is Jan. 19.
A spokesman for the maker of Hershey's Kisses and Reese's said that, as a matter of policy, the company does not comment on merger and acquisition issues.
An Italian business daily reported Wednesday that Ferrero International SA is no longer interested in bidding for Cadbury. The paper, il Sole 24 Ore, cited unidentified sources close to the family-run Italian firm.
Ferrero had no comment.
Any bid for Cadbury would involve bringing jobs and assets to Hershey and leave voting control of the company in the hands of the charitable trust set up by its late founder Milton S. Hershey, the person said.
On Wednesday, Kraft declined to comment on a potential bid from Hershey but maintained that it sees itself as the best partner for Cadbury.
In November, Hershey and Ferrero told the London Stock Exchange that they were considering a possible offer for Cadbury, but cautioned that there was no assurance that any bid would happen.
AP Business Writer Sarah Skidmore in Portland, Ore., contributed to this report.
hershey's, cadbury, business/finance
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 56 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 53 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 57 min ago
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 55 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 51 min ago
- Officials: Valentine's Day pileup on Pa. Turnpike exposed gaps 9 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures