Walgreens to offer fresh food
January 20, 2010 (WPVI) -- Soon you may be able to pick up a fresh salad at your local Walgreens.
The drug store chain is in talks with food manufacturers to begin offering fresh food and prepared meals -- including salads, fruit and ready-to-bake pizzas.
The concept will first be tested in target markets.
The Deerfield, Ill.-based operator of the Walgreens drugstore chain is in talks with food manufacturers including Unilever NV, Nestle SA and Sara Lee Corp. about creating private-label and branded products, said a report by Bloomberg.
The nation's largest drugstore chain reported fiscal 2009 sales of $63 billion and operates 7,149 drugstores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
There are about 100 Walgreens in the Philadelphia region.
shopping, prescriptions, business/finance
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run