Chrysler to build all-electric version of Fiat 500
DETROIT - March 22, 2010 -- Chrysler Group LLC says it will start making an all-electric Fiat 500 minicar for the U.S. market starting in 2012.
The company says the lightweight car's chassis is perfect for an electric power system.
The automaker said Monday that electrical design work will be done at Chrysler's offices in Auburn Hills, Mich.
Chrysler announced earlirr this year that it will make the 500 with an internal combustion engine in Mexico for U.S. sales starting in December.
Chrysler is behind other major automakers in bringing rechargeable electric vehicles to market. Nissan Motor Co., General Motors Co. and Ford Motor Co. will sell electric models this year.
Italy's Fiat Group SpA took over management of Chrysler after it emerged from bankruptcy protection last year.
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ 23 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks in Center City
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
More business resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos