Construction spending at lowest point since 2002
WASHINGTON - April 1, 2010 -- Builders cut back on new projects at a faster-than-expected pace in February and drove down construction spending to the lowest level in eight years. It was a fresh sign that the troubled real-estate market remains a sore spot for the economic recovery.
The Commerce Department reported Thursday that spending on construction projects around the country fell by 1.3 percent to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of $846.23 billion. That was the lowest level since November 2002.
Economists were predicting builders would pare spending by 1 percent.
The weakness was widespread. Spending fell for home building, commercial ventures, including hotels and motels, and big government public works projects, such as highways and streets.
The 1.3 percent drop, followed a deeper 1.4 percent decline in January. It was the fourth month in a row that construction spending fell.
The housing market led the country into a recession and despite some improvements at the end of last year, the sector this year is showing fresh signs of weakness. Commercial real estate has been a drag on overall economic activity. Soured commercial real estate loans are a problem for banks, which remain wary of boosting lending to consumers and businesses.
Thursday's report suggested that the real-estate market will continue to be a problem spot for the economy, which is recovering from the worst recession since the 1930s.
Total spending on construction projects is down 12.8 percent from a year ago, underscoring the deep hole builders are struggling to come out of.
construction spending, business/finance
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 6 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 56 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 12 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 17 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 23 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 41 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 32 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 41 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
12 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
17 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
33 min ago