Wachovia Center is now Wells Fargo Center
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - July 27, 2010 -- Just when the words Wachovia Center became part of the current Philadelphia vernacular, they're gone, just like that.On Tuesday a worker removed the oversized "W" at the Wachovia Center. The arena has hosted Stanley Cup games and the Republican National Convention but it's had a tough time holding on to a first name. This new change will be the arena's 4th name in 14 years.
Naming rights are a big deal for companies and they pay big money for it. Wells Fargo, which is taking over the Wachovia Center, will pay $1.4 million for the privilege. In comparison, Citizens Bank pays $2.3 million and Lincoln Financial pays $6.7 million. Companies say the appeal to the naming rights is a connection to a major sport and all the media mentions both locally and nationally, either on television or in print.
Currently the biggest naming deal is Citibank, which is paying the Mets $20 million a year for 20 years!
But some fans say a name on an arena doesn't convince them to switch banks or beer.
"Unless they are going to give me money when they change their name I'm not doing nothing, not going nowhere," said Gregg Martucci.
And look for the name AT&T coming to the sports complex in the future. Septa just inked a multi-million dollar deal with the company for the naming rights to the Pattison Station.
wachovia center, business/finance
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 10 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online 48 min ago
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams 58 min ago
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma 31 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc 18 min ago
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary 4 min ago
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 22 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 20 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
10 min ago