American Airlines to charge for front-row seats
NEW YORK - August 19, 2010 -- American Airlines has found another fee.
The Fort Worth, Texas, airline said Wednesday it's now charging between $19 and $39 for "Express Seats" - those spots in the first few rows of coach that include bulkhead seats.
The carrier, which is operated by parent AMR Corp., is following in the footsteps of several other airlines who already charge for special seats.
UAL Corp.'s United Airlines, Continental Airlines, US Airways, JetBlue, Frontier, Spirit and AirTran all have some seats that cost extra.
American said the price of the seats includes getting on the plane in the first "general boarding" group of passengers.
The seats that will cost extra are in the first two or three rows of the coach cabin, depending on the size of the plane.
The seats can only be bought at airport kiosks between 24 hours to 50 minutes before the flight for travel within the U.S.
American, the country's second-largest airline behind Delta Air Lines, still provides its elite frequent fliers those seats for no extra charge.
American also charges fees for checked bags, priority boarding, booking on the phone or in person, "sleep sets," unaccompanied minors and pets.
american airlines, air travel, air fare, airline security, business/finance
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 54 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run 24 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
54 min ago
More business resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos