Ben & Jerry's to drop 'All Natural' from labels
SOUTH BURLINGTON, VERMONT - September 28,2010 -- The move follows a request from the Center for Science in the Public Interest.
Ice cream maker Ben & Jerry's is dropping the phrase "all natural" from all labels after a request from a health advocacy group.
The Center for Science in the Public Interest and the company confirmed the move Monday.
The CSPI told the company last month it should not use "all natural" if products contain alkalized cocoa, corn syrup, hydrogenated oil or other ingredients that are not natural.
Ben & Jerry's, a unit of consumer products giant Unilever, says it's not changing any recipes.
It's just removing the label from all products.
The Food & Drug Administration has no formal definition for "natural."
But it won't object to term as long as products do not contain added color, artificial flavors or synthetic substances.
vermont, consumer reports, food, business/finance
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 50 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 4 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
4 min ago