Johnson & Johnson buying Crucell for $2.41 billion
NEW YORK (AP) - October 6, 2010 -- Johnson & Johnson said Wednesday it is buying Crucell N.V. for about $2.41 billion in a move that will boost the American health care company's vaccine business.
The move had been expected since September, when the companies announced they were in advanced talks. Johnson & Johnson already owns a 17.9 percent stake in the Dutch biotechnology company. The current offer is worth 1.75 billion euros, or 24.75 euros per share in cash for the remainder. That marks a 58 percent premium to Crucell's closing price on Sept. 16., the day before the companies announced a potential deal.
Johnson & Johnson, based in New Brunswick, N.J., has about $64 billion in annual sales and makes a broad range of products from Band-Aids to prescription drugs. It is new to the vaccine market and the Crucell buyout would give it vaccines aimed a childhood, endemic and respiratory diseases.
Johnson & Johnson said it will retain Crucell's existing facilities and senior management, along with current staffing levels. It will use Crucell as the center of its vaccines business and maintain headquarters in Leiden, Netherlands.
Crucell's board supports the deal.
The companies have been working together since 2009 to develop a universal flu vaccine and vaccines directed against infectious and noninfectious diseases.
"This potential combination would provide us with a new platform for growth and advances our goal to deliver integrated health care solutions, with particular emphasis on prevention," said Paul Stoffels, global head of pharmaceutical research and development at Johnson& Johnson, in a statement.
Johnson& Johnson expects the buyout to cut between 3 cents and 5 cents per share from earnings in 2011.
johnson & johnson, new jersey, health care, business/finance
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 3 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 30 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 24 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 22 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 42 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
24 min ago