Charlie Brown's parent firm files for bankruptcy
MOUNTAINSIDE, N.J. (AP) - November 18, 2010 -- The New Jersey-based parent company of the Charlie Brown's Steakhouse chain announced Thursday that it has filed for voluntary reorganization under federal bankruptcy law.
CB Holding Corp. of Mountainside had abruptly shut down 47 restaurants in New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania this week, about one-third of the chain's tally. Company officials said they were underperforming and that the closings were made to preserve liquidity.
Thirty-nine other restaurants - 20 Charlie Brown's, 12 Bugaboo Creek Steakhouses and seven Office Beer Bar & Grill locations - remain open.
In voluntarily filing for Chapter 11 protection in U.S. District Court in Delaware for itself and all its subsidiaries, CB Holdings cited assets of $100 million to $500 million, and liabilities of $50 million to $100 million. It said it had less than 50 creditors and intends to reorganize to "provide for an orderly sale of its ongoing business operations."
The company also filed a motion seeking approval of $2.5 million of debtor-in-possession financing from Ally Commercial Finance LLC to fund its continuing operations.
The chain says it will honor gift cards and its customer loyalty program. It also said employees who worked at the shuttered restaurants would be given the chance to get jobs at those that remain open.
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 48 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- Delaware Co. mother seeks help finding son's killer
- Minn. man pulls police officer from burning car
- Delaware man charged with 12th DUI
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
48 min ago