GM to add third shift for pickup truck assembly
DETROIT (AP) - January 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- General Motors says it will add a third shift and 750 jobs to a Flint, Mich., factory that makes Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks.
The automaker says it is adding the shift in response to demand for heavy-duty pickups. The shift will start in the third quarter.
GM will fill the shift by recalling laid off workers who will start arriving in the second quarter. It expects to hire no new employees.
The Flint factory currently runs two production shifts and employs about 2,100 hourly and salaried workers. It made 115,000 trucks last year.
Mark Reuss, president of GM North America, says the move "brings jobs and a needed economic boost to the Flint area."
general motors, automobiles, employment, business/finance
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 24 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station... 6 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 49 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire 19 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
49 min ago