VW to recall minivans for stalling problem
DETROIT (AP) - March 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- Volkswagen is recalling 12,600 minivans because the ignition key could move while driving and cause the engine to shut off.
Chrysler announced a similar recall last week. It makes the vans for Volkswagen.
VW says the ignition key in Routan minivans from the 2010 model year can move from the run to accessory position on its own, turning off the engine. VW estimates that 378 of the vans have defective ignition switches.
Chrysler last week recalled about 250,000 Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country minivans and Dodge Journey crossovers to replace the ignition switches. All the vehicles are from the 2010 model year.
Chrysler told the government it had received 32 customer complaints and was aware of two rear-end crashes.
The recalls are to begin in April.
volkswagen, automobiles, recall, business/finance
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Police officer's SUV stolen with gun, badge 7 min ago
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 19 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's
- Video: First dog knocks down toddler at White House