Antique blowout barn sale this weekend
MANAYUNK - March 24, 2011 (WPVI) -- Antiques can add a special touch to your home, or make you smile about times gone by. This weekend, you can get nostalgic for a discount.
This weekend, Manayunk store Three Potato Four will be the home of some great deals in its old mill building.
The antique retailer, run by husband and wife Stu Eli and Janet Morales, has a regular online presence, but over the next two days it'll hold its monthly barn sale.
"We have tons of different stuff," according to Eli. "We kind of try to look for things that are unique and one off; anything from general store signage, industrial antiques. We love things that are related to public schools, libraries, science related items."
They do big business in old signs, recovered from places like old diners and snack shacks. An old firetruck and Vespa-style scooter were once part of rides on the Atlantic City Boardwalk. If you like old photos, they have tons of those, even some tintypes!
For kids, old record covers make good wall art. You could also pick up some bright blocks, a reminder of when toys were made with wood not plastic.
For brides and grooms, these old pill or lure boxes are a great "something old" to hold the ring.
"We go on picks all the time," explained Morales, "anywhere from antique marts to people's houses to warehouses and factories."
The prices at Three Potato Four's website are already a bargain compared to many other home stores. And the deals will be even better at the barn sale.
"At the Barn Sale, (prices range) anywhere from a $1 to $5,000. We really run a pretty big range," said Eli. "Most everything, I'd say, is in the $50 to $200 range. We're going to offer 10%-20% off, particularly the larger furniture."
The owners say they love the uniqueness of their finds. One favorite: A taxidermied alligator from the Caribbean that aws about 100 years old. "I think we sold it for $200," Eli said. "Before we sold it, our daughter took it to school for show and tell!"
The Barn Sale is this Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 5pm both days. Three Potato Four is located at 376 Shurs Lane in Manayunk.
manayunk, philadelphia, history, business/finance, tamala edwards
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad