Dish Network buys Blockbuster
April 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- Dish Network outbid other contenders to buy Blockbuster at auction this week.
The deal - worth a reported $320 million - will be finalized in June.
The satellite TV provider plans to use the struggling movie rental chain to grow its streaming content business.
Blockbuster still operates more than 17-hundred stores, despite its crippling debt.
Dish Network executives sounded upbeat about reviving the Blockbuster brand.
movies, bankruptcy, business/finance
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City 53 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware 35 min ago
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
53 min ago
- Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
35 min ago