Dish Network buys Blockbuster
April 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- Dish Network outbid other contenders to buy Blockbuster at auction this week.
The deal - worth a reported $320 million - will be finalized in June.
The satellite TV provider plans to use the struggling movie rental chain to grow its streaming content business.
Blockbuster still operates more than 17-hundred stores, despite its crippling debt.
Dish Network executives sounded upbeat about reviving the Blockbuster brand.
movies, bankruptcy, business/finance
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila. 51 min ago
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 39 min ago
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
51 min ago
More business resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos