Newark airport has highest domestic airfares in US
NEWARK, N.J. - May 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Travelers in New Jersey looking for cheaper airfares should head south.
The federal Transportation Statistics Bureau says Atlantic City International Airport offered the lowest average domestic fares between October and December 2010.
Newark Liberty International Airport remained the nation's most expensive, with average ticket prices of $461.
Spirit Airlines offered average fares of $156 out of Atlantic City.
Rising fuel costs helped drive up average ticket prices nationwide 5.2 percent to $337 during the fourth quarter.
Spokesman Steve Lott of the Air Transport Association told The Star-Ledger of Newark fares at Newark Liberty could see a reduction following the arrival of Southwest Airlines.
air fare, air travel, business/finance
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 1 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 19 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Video: Annual Phila. Flower Show wraps up
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ