Newark airport has highest domestic airfares in US
NEWARK, N.J. - May 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Travelers in New Jersey looking for cheaper airfares should head south.
The federal Transportation Statistics Bureau says Atlantic City International Airport offered the lowest average domestic fares between October and December 2010.
Newark Liberty International Airport remained the nation's most expensive, with average ticket prices of $461.
Spirit Airlines offered average fares of $156 out of Atlantic City.
Rising fuel costs helped drive up average ticket prices nationwide 5.2 percent to $337 during the fourth quarter.
Spokesman Steve Lott of the Air Transport Association told The Star-Ledger of Newark fares at Newark Liberty could see a reduction following the arrival of Southwest Airlines.
air fare, air travel, business/finance
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run