Newark airport has highest domestic airfares in US
NEWARK, N.J. - May 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Travelers in New Jersey looking for cheaper airfares should head south.
The federal Transportation Statistics Bureau says Atlantic City International Airport offered the lowest average domestic fares between October and December 2010.
Newark Liberty International Airport remained the nation's most expensive, with average ticket prices of $461.
Spirit Airlines offered average fares of $156 out of Atlantic City.
Rising fuel costs helped drive up average ticket prices nationwide 5.2 percent to $337 during the fourth quarter.
Spokesman Steve Lott of the Air Transport Association told The Star-Ledger of Newark fares at Newark Liberty could see a reduction following the arrival of Southwest Airlines.
air fare, air travel, business/finance
- Police: Missing boy struck by car
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Stolen cobalt-60 found abandoned in Mexico
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013
- Video: 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting