Microsoft to buy Internet phone company Skype
REDMOND, Wash. - May 10, 2011 (WPVI) -- Microsoft says it will buy the Internet phone company Skype for $8.5 billion in cash.
Buying Skype is giving Microsoft Corp. a potentially valuable communications tool as it tries to make a bigger splash on the Internet and become a bigger force in the increasingly important smartphone market.
Skype boasts about 663 million users worldwide who make voice and video calls over the Internet.
microsoft, skype, business/finance
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Fla 31 min ago
- Damp and cooler.
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash 33 min ago
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar 23 min ago
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash 9 min ago
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized