Fiat could own 70 pct of Chrysler by next year
DETROIT (AP) - May 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- Italian automaker Fiat SpA could own more than 70 percent of Chrysler Group within a year once it repays its government loans and exercises other options.
Chrysler spelled out the terms of Fiat's ownership in a filing Monday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Fiat announced last month that it would pay $1.3 billion to increase its stake in Chrysler to 46 percent. Fiat expects to have a 51-percent stake by the end of this year, which would allow it to appoint a majority to Chrysler's board.
In the filing, Chrysler said Fiat also may acquire the U.S. government's 8.6-percent stake in a 12-month period following the repayment of government loans. Chrysler is expected to repay those loans in the second quarter.
chrysler, automobiles, business/finance
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 11 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 1 min ago
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
11 min ago
More business resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos