Fiat could own 70 pct of Chrysler by next year
DETROIT (AP) - May 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- Italian automaker Fiat SpA could own more than 70 percent of Chrysler Group within a year once it repays its government loans and exercises other options.
Chrysler spelled out the terms of Fiat's ownership in a filing Monday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Fiat announced last month that it would pay $1.3 billion to increase its stake in Chrysler to 46 percent. Fiat expects to have a 51-percent stake by the end of this year, which would allow it to appoint a majority to Chrysler's board.
In the filing, Chrysler said Fiat also may acquire the U.S. government's 8.6-percent stake in a 12-month period following the repayment of government loans. Chrysler is expected to repay those loans in the second quarter.
chrysler, automobiles, business/finance
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
More business resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos