Ford to build hybrid-only minivan
STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. (AP) - June 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Ford is making a minivan that will become its first U.S. vehicle sold only as a hybrid.
Ford sells hybrid versions of some gas-powered cars, but it's got nothing like the Toyota Prius, which is only sold as a hybrid. Ford's minivan is based on a five-passenger van, the C-Max, which is already sold in Europe but runs on gasoline.
Ford had planned to introduce a seven-passenger, gas-powered C-Max in the U.S. next year. But it's scrapping that so it can build more hybrid-only C-Maxes. The van goes on sale next year.
The minivan will get more than 41 miles per gallon. A plug-in version will also be sold. It will be similar to the Chevrolet Volt, which can drive in all-electric mode but has a backup gas engine.
ford motor company, automobiles, business/finance
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, smash-&-grab, more... 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Video: Obama misspells "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in Aretha... 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
34 min ago