Atlantic City's Steel Pier to go up for bid
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - June 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- Trump Entertainment Group plans to put Atlantic City's iconic Steel Pier up for auction.
The Press of Atlantic City reports bidding on the 113-year-old amusement complex will start at $2.5 million, or about 8 percent of its $29.8 million tax assessment.
Trump spokesman Brian Cahill told the newspaper Trump Entertainment Group is a gaming company and Steel Pier is not part of the casino.
Steel Pier operator Anthony Catanoso says his agreement runs through 2016 and any sale won't affect operations. Catanoso says he hopes to make an offer before the auction date of Aug. 25.
The Steel Pier has been rebuilt since it was home to a diving horse attraction and the original Miss America Pageant in the early 20th century.
The Wall Street Journal first reported the story.
new jersey, atlantic city, donald trump, business/finance
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book