Atlantic City's Steel Pier to go up for bid
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - June 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- Trump Entertainment Group plans to put Atlantic City's iconic Steel Pier up for auction.
The Press of Atlantic City reports bidding on the 113-year-old amusement complex will start at $2.5 million, or about 8 percent of its $29.8 million tax assessment.
Trump spokesman Brian Cahill told the newspaper Trump Entertainment Group is a gaming company and Steel Pier is not part of the casino.
Steel Pier operator Anthony Catanoso says his agreement runs through 2016 and any sale won't affect operations. Catanoso says he hopes to make an offer before the auction date of Aug. 25.
The Steel Pier has been rebuilt since it was home to a diving horse attraction and the original Miss America Pageant in the early 20th century.
The Wall Street Journal first reported the story.
new jersey, atlantic city, donald trump, business/finance
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lots of sun, chilly today 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly 25 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
More business resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos