Atlantic City's Steel Pier to go up for bid
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - June 30, 2011 (WPVI) -- Trump Entertainment Group plans to put Atlantic City's iconic Steel Pier up for auction.
The Press of Atlantic City reports bidding on the 113-year-old amusement complex will start at $2.5 million, or about 8 percent of its $29.8 million tax assessment.
Trump spokesman Brian Cahill told the newspaper Trump Entertainment Group is a gaming company and Steel Pier is not part of the casino.
Steel Pier operator Anthony Catanoso says his agreement runs through 2016 and any sale won't affect operations. Catanoso says he hopes to make an offer before the auction date of Aug. 25.
The Steel Pier has been rebuilt since it was home to a diving horse attraction and the original Miss America Pageant in the early 20th century.
The Wall Street Journal first reported the story.
new jersey, atlantic city, donald trump, business/finance
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
48 min ago