VW recalls 168,000 cars for fuel leaks
DETROIT (AP) - October 6, 2011 (WPVI) -- Volkswagen is recalling 168,275 cars equipped with diesel engines because of a defect in the fuel injection system that could cause fuel leaks and fires.
The recall affects certain 2009-2012 Jetta midsize cars, and some 2010 through 2012 Golf small cars, as well as some Audi A3 models from the 2010 through 2012 model years, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Thursday on its website. All are equipped with 2-liter TDI diesel engines.
Cracks can develop in the fuel injection system and cause fuel to leak, possibly causing fires, VW said in documents filed with federal safety regulators.
However, the company said in the documents that it doesn't know of any fires, crashes or injuries caused by the problem.
Fuel injectors squirt fuel into the cylinder, where it is ignited. The resulting explosion pushes the pistons, which move to power the cars. On some of the VW diesels, a vibration given off by the injectors can cause stress that eventually can lead to cracks in the injector fuel lines, VW said.
Volkswagen will replace a fuel injector line in some models and install dampers to cut the vibrations on all of them. The repairs will be made free of charge. The recall is expected to start in November, NHTSA said.
The recall includes 161,144 Golf and Jetta models and another 7,131 Audi A3s.
The Jettas, including SportWagens, were made from May 2008 through September of 2011, while the Golfs were made from May of 2009 through September of 2011. The A3 models were made from September of 2009 through September of 2011.
About 20 percent of the cars built during those time periods will need to have fuel lines replaced, and all will the vehicles will get the vibration dampers, VW said.
More than 20 percent of the Volkswagens sold in the U.S. have diesel engines.
volkswagen, automobiles, recall, business/finance
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Fla
- AccuWeather: Damp and cooler 38 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash 59 min ago
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges
- Probe into Conn. train crash giving way to cleanup 29 min ago
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in 19 min ago
- American Cancer Society celebrates 100 years 40 min ago
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
59 min ago