Making up: free apps for furious Blackberry users
October 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- Trying to make amends for massive outages last week, Research In Motion announced a free premium apps giveaway for millions of its customers who may still feel jolted, and a month of technical support for some.
The Canadian company said Monday that the apps, worth more than $100, will be made available over the coming weeks on BlackBerry App World. They include iSpeech Translator, Bejeweled and Texas Hold'em Poker 2. The offer runs until the end of the year.
Reseach in Motion also will offer its enterprise customers a month of free technical support.
Last week's blackout interrupted email and Internet services for tens of millions of users globally and left company leaders apologizing profusely.
BlackBerry phones are already struggling to keep pace with competitors like Apple Inc.'s iPhone and shares of Research In Motion have already paid a price.
Whether the handouts will sooth customers is not yet known, but it was clear that investors were still not in a forgiving mood Monday.
Shares of Research in Motion Ltd. slumped more than 4 percent, or 99 cents, to $23. Earlier this year, shares traded above $70 each.
cell phones, blackberry, business/finance
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport 51 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare 59 min ago
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours 41 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion 49 min ago
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila....
51 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
49 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
41 min ago