6at4 Business Report: Greece, unemployment, Walmart
November 2, 2011 (WPVI) -- Greece's debt continues causing headaches worldwide; the unemployment picture gets better in Philadelphia; Walmart pre-empts Black Friday.
Emergency meetings over Greece
European leaders are holding emergency meetings with Greece after Grecian officials are backpedaling on the debt-relief deal that was hammered out last week. European leaders are telling the Greek prime minister there is no "Plan B." If Greece doesn't make budget cuts under the bailout plan there will be an ugly default.
Philadelphia unemployment rate drops
The jobs market is looking up in Philadelhia. The unemployment rate in September dropped to 8.4% from 9.1% in August - That's a huge drop and even lower than last year when unemployment was at 8.6%. The jobs outlook does get brighter. Companies added 110,000 workers in October. The big jobs report from the U.S. labor department comes out this Friday when economists expect a similar gain
Walmart launching "Super Saturday"
Walmart doesn't want you to wait until Black Friday to start your holiday shopping. The king of Black Friday doorbuster sales is now promising a "Super Saturday" event this weekend with price cuts on electronics and kitchen items. Plus there will be balloons, activities, and free cupcakes for kids! It's all part of an effort to lure shoppers in early, ahead of those Black Friday midnight sales that Target, Macy's and Kohl's just announced. Walmart also offering customers who sign up on Facebook or walmart.com a sneak peek of day-after-Thanksgiving sale prices.
Syms & Filene's Basement To Close
Two major discount retail chains will close up shop. The parent company of Filene's Basement, Syms, which also operates stores under that name filed for bankruptcy protection. The company's CEO cited increased competition from department stores. All Syms and Filene's Basement stores will undergo liquidation -- and that will run through January.
6at4, stock market, economy, Greece, walmart, pennsylvania, philadelphia, unemployment, black friday, business/finance
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 42 min ago
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 3 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 9 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 27 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 18 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 27 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
19 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
3 min ago