6at4 Business Report: Verizon, Allentown home values plunge
November 9, 2011 (WPVI) -- Homeowners in the Lehigh Valley are losing ground on the values of their homes, but Verizon Wireless customers are gaining a big chunk of data service.
Market tanks amid Italy fears
The market tanked today because of worries that Italy may be the "Next Greece" and will need a bailout. But traders tell us that the problem is the European central bank doesn't have enough money for a bailout of Italy. Traders say Italy is too big to fail and too big to bail. Now there's talk that Germany is working on a plan to let countries leave the Euro currency.
Verizon doubles data
If you have a iPhone with Verizon service, get ready to search and text even more! Verizon just doubled the size of its smartphone plans to compete for customers just ahead of the holiday season. Basically, it's a price cut because now customers can get 4GB of data for $30/month when they used to only get 2GB at that price. The 4th quarter is the busiest for the cell phone industry and Verizon is just upping the ante ahead of the holiday season.
Home values drop
It looks like the housing market isn't getting any better. The National Association of Realtors says home values fell in almost 3/4 of U.S. cities in the 3rd quarter because of the slowing economy. The biggest decline in the country was in Allentown, Pennsylvania and phoenix where the home prices tumbled 18%.
6at4, stock market, economy, lehigh county, allentown, verizon, cell phones, iphone, apple, business/finance
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 3 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 23 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ