6at4 Business Report: Unemployment filings drop
Things are looking up on the employment front.
Stocks closed higher on better news on the jobs front overall today.
A new report today showed the number of people filing for unemployment benefits last week fell to the lowest in 7 months. Experts say if jobless claims can stay below the 400,000 mark for some time, that would signal an improvement.
So where are the jobs? They are in health care, which remains the hottest sector for hiring.
One in five jobs created over the past two months were in healthcare, according to the Labor Department. Experts in the industry say since 2008 healthcare has added almost 1 million jobs total.
And speaking of jobs, it looks like baby boomers are working past retirement. A new poll from the Associated Press-LifeGoesStrong.com found 73% of the baby boom generation plans to work past retirement. That is up from 67% this spring.
More than half the boomers polled said they do not feel confident they'll be able to afford a comfortable retirement.
6at4, stock market, economy, employment, business/finance
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 56 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 51 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 44 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
18 min ago