MF Global fires its entire work force
WASHINGTON (AP) - November 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- Defunct trading company MF Global Inc. says it is terminating its entire workforce of 1,066 employees.
The company said Friday it is dismissing workers in accordance with a bankruptcy court-mandated liquidation. Between 150 and 200 former employees are being hired to assist with the liquidation and court proceedings.
MF Global declared bankruptcy after losing money on a number of bad bets on derivatives contracts, precipitated by the European financial crisis.
The company did not immediately return a call seeking comment. It said in a statement that all the employees were notified of their termination Friday. The company said it is working to vacate its headquarters in New York as soon as possible and will close the facility.
jon corzine, wall street, new jersey, economy, fbi, business/finance
- Amber Alert issued for missing Pottsville teen 2 min ago
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- 3 children rescued in SW Phila. house fire
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Dozens rescued from flooded San Antonio area 29 min ago
- Quick, long-term fixes in works for Washington bridge
- NJ man claims share of $198M Mega Millions jackpot
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore 53 min ago
More business resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos