MF Global fires its entire work force
WASHINGTON (AP) - November 11, 2011 (WPVI) -- Defunct trading company MF Global Inc. says it is terminating its entire workforce of 1,066 employees.
The company said Friday it is dismissing workers in accordance with a bankruptcy court-mandated liquidation. Between 150 and 200 former employees are being hired to assist with the liquidation and court proceedings.
MF Global declared bankruptcy after losing money on a number of bad bets on derivatives contracts, precipitated by the European financial crisis.
The company did not immediately return a call seeking comment. It said in a statement that all the employees were notified of their termination Friday. The company said it is working to vacate its headquarters in New York as soon as possible and will close the facility.
jon corzine, wall street, new jersey, economy, fbi, business/finance
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion 1 min ago
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls 7 min ago
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill 9 min ago
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted 50 min ago
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?