6at4 Business Report: Black Friday Backlash, more
November 15, 2011 (WPVI) -- Stores facing Black Friday backlash, PNC helps kids learn about money, and Android's market share grows.
Black Friday Backlash
Target is facing some backlash from employees about its Black Friday plans. The retailer announced its plans to open doors at midnight this year, which is earlier than the traditional Friday morning 5 a.m. start time. About 40,000 people have joined a change.org campaign urging Target to reverse its decision and allow workers to spend the time with family. Target declined to comment on the petition. Macy's, Best Buy and Kohl's all plan to open at midnight as well. While Wal-Mart will be opening even earlier at 10 p.m. on Thanksgiving night.
Droid Phones Being Targeted
Heading in to the holiday season Google's Android is increasing its dominance. Google's Droid operating system accounted for more than 50% of smartphones sold this past quarter. But Droid fans beware, it's also becoming a popular target for viruses. Juniper networks says the operating system had a six-fold increase since July in threats from spyware and viruses.
Airlines fees on the rise
Spirit, which flies out of Atlantic City International Airport, is tacking on $34 in fees for online tickets. Delta is raising fares by $10. Plus,experts say it is more likely that airlines will cancel flights if there's a threat of being delayed because of the new tarmac rules.
Children across the region will be getting an early start on learning how to manage money. A $325,000 dollar donation from PNC Bank will help fund the Please Touch Museum and create a financial education program there for preschoolers. The announcement was made at PNC's Center City Philadelphia offices. The donation is part of the bank's grow up great program.
6at4, stock market, economy, best buy, target, walmart, kohls, toys r us, black friday, business/finance
- Mug shot released of McNabb after DUI arrest 15 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 3 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 13 min ago
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown 4 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 12 min ago
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 14 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 6 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
6 min ago