6at4 Business Report: Counterfeit goods, housing sales, att T-Mobile merger
November 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- The government is trying to crack down on counterfeit goods and AT&T has a plan to save its merger with T-Mobile.
Today being Cyber Monday, with many people shopping online. Now, the U.S. government is cracking down on websites that sell counterfeit goods. The U.S. seized 150 domain names selling fake Ugg boots, Nike sneakers and sports jerseys. Most of the websites taken down operate overseas with the bogus merchandise predominately made in China. However, many times it's hard to tell the difference.
New home sales
On the housing front, new home sales came in at disappointing levels. They jumped only 1.3% in October, which is less than what economists had been expecting. All of this is delaying a recovery in the housing industry which is heading for its weakest year on record. Federal Reserve officials are thinking about buying more mortgage bonds to try and boost the housing market.
As for the AT&T - T-Mobile saga, AT&T is putting up a big fight in trying to make the proposed T-Mobile merger happen. AT&T is considering selling off more assets than planned to try to win approval from the U.S. Justice Department. They are trying to size-down the merger so it would be smaller and perhaps skirt anticompetitive concerns. The proposal likely to come out in the next hearing which is scheduled for December.
6at4, stock market, economy, at&t, t-mobile, cell phones, home sales, counterfeiting, business/finance
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 19 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today 52 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local help on the way for tornado victims 3 min ago
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams 3 min ago
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 31 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township 58 min ago
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Street-level interactive weather map
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
19 min ago