6at4 Business Report: MF Global, housing sales
November 21, 2011 (WPVI) -- Billions are missing in a financial fiasco involving a former N.J. governor.
MF Global missing money
MF Global, the failed Wall Street firm where former New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine was CEO, may be missing $1.2 billion or more from customer accounts. That is double what was previously expected. Earlier this month the company filed the 8th largest U.S. bankruptcy after bad bets on European debt. The FBI is investigating whether MF Global violated criminal laws.
Housing sales tick up
Low mortgage rates and low prices helped existing home sales to rise 1.4% in October according to the National Association of realtors. But economists say housing is still at depressed levels. A temporary halt on foreclosures is over and that may push more foreclosed properties on the market triggering further price slides.
Smart Chip card
The magnetic strip on the back of your credit cards may be a thing of the past. according to the Associate Press, Chase is rolling out a credit card embedded with a smart chip technology that reduces fraud and is already widely used outside the U.S. Chase's new credit card is being offered with British Airways starting today mainly for international travelers. Most other countries already use chip-based credit cards that aren't swiped at all.
6at4, stock market, economy, jon corzine, home sales, business/finance
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 55 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911 11 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
55 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
41 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos