Best Buy cancels some online orders
NEW YORK (AP) - December 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Best Buy says it won't be able to fill some customers' online orders, just days before Christmas.
The largest U.S. specialty electronics retailer says overwhelming demand for some products has led to a problem redeeming online orders made in November and December.
The Minneapolis company declined Thursday to specify how many orders are affected or which products are out of stock.
The shortages are a black eye for Best Buy, which has beefed up online offerings as a way to offset tough competition from online retailers and discount stores.
Online shopping is becoming more popular, with sales up 15 percent to $32 billion so far this holiday season. That has created some problems, though.
Target's site crashed in September because overwhelming demand for a popular brand.
best buy, holidays, shopping, business/finance
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd 25 min ago
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball