Last-minute holiday shopping gives lift in finale
NEW YORK (AP) - December 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- A mall trade group says that last minute shoppers gave merchants a solid lift during the final week before Christmas.
Sales at stores opened at least a year rose 0.9 percent for the week ended Saturday compared with the previous week and was up 4.5 percent compared with the same period a year ago, according to the International Council of Shopping Centers-Goldman Sachs Weekly Chain Store Sales Index, released Wednesday. The index serves as a sales proxy to 24 major stores including Macy's Inc. and Costco Wholesale Corp.
ICSC expects that holiday sales for the November and December combined will be in line with its forecast of 3.5 percent.
macy's, holidays, shopping, economy, business/finance
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 14 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend! 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft 48 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting 53 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
59 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
14 min ago
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart...
48 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton...
53 min ago
More business resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos