RI College offering car-sharing on campus
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - January 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Rhode Island College is offering a car-sharing program on campus as a way to reduce parking demand and cut down on vehicle emissions.
The college says Zipcars are now available 24 hours a day to students, faculty and staff. Membership costs $25, and then participants pay an hourly or daily rate. The cars can be reserved for as little as one hour or for several days.
Just two cars will be available at first, but the program is expected to grow.
Dean of students Scott Kane called it a "green initiative" aimed at addressing students' transportation needs while also reducing emissions and traffic congestion.
Members of the community will also be able to use the car-sharing service.
rhode island, business/finance
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 18 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 36 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ