Stocks slip after US economic growth disappoints
NEW YORK - January 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Stocks were mostly lower Friday after the government reported the U.S. economy grew at a slower pace than economists had expected in the fourth quarter.
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 57 points, or 0.4 percent, to 12,678 shortly after 11 a.m. The S&P 500 index fell 2 points to 1,316. The Nasdaq composite edged up 6 to 2,811.
The Commerce Department said the economy grew at a modest 2.8 percent in the final three months of last year. Economists had expected 3 percent growth.
Among stocks making big moves, Chevron Corp. fell 3 percent, the most of the 30 stocks in the Dow average, after the energy company's fourth-quarter revenue and earnings per share came in well below what analysts were expecting. Oil and natural gas production declined in the quarter.
Ford Motor Co. fell 2 percent after reporting disappointing fourth quarter earnings due weak sales in Europe. The company said its results were also hurt by trouble at parts suppliers in Thailand due to flooding there.
Starbucks Corp. fell 2 percent after reporting late Thursday that that full year results were likely to come in less than expectations. Procter & Gamble Co., which makes Tide, Crest and other consumer products, fell less than 1 percent after cutting its earnings outlook.
Legg Mason fell 5 percent after the investment management company's earnings fell in half as clients pulled money out of the firm. Legg Mason's earnings of 20 cents per share were well below the 25 cents per share that analysts were expecting, according to FactSet.
stock market, wall street, business/finance
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 54 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Obama heading to South Africa
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot 33 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
54 min ago
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being...
33 min ago