6at4 Business Report: Alaska comes to Philly; Gas prices keep rising
February 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- The price at the pumps is expected to keep climbing, plus a new airline is going to make stops in Philadelphia.
Alaska Airlines comes to Philadelphia
Alaska Airlines will begin flying in and out of Philadelphia this summer. The carrier is starting non-stop service between Philadelphia and its main hub in Seattle on July 11th. Alaska Airlines is offering introductory fares for $190 each way, which includes all taxes and fees. But you have to book by February 13th for travel through the end of August. Alaska Airlines ranked highest in customer satisfaction by a survey completed by JD Power and Associates.
Looking to make a career change? According to the U.S. Labor Department here are the five fastest growing industries: Registered nurses; Retail sales people; Home health aides; Personal care aides; and Office clerks. Unfortunately, home health aides and personal care aides are low-paying positions because they look after the elderly but do not administer medications. These industries are slated to be the fastest growing in America for this decade.
There are more signs the economy is expanding. Job openings in the U.S. increased in December for the first time in three months. more openings mean U.S. companies may be looking beyond the European financial crisis and making plans to expand this year.
Gas prices seem to be heading in the wrong direction! The U.S. lowered its forecast for U.S. gas demand this year because fewer teens are getting their licenses and all those newer cars have better gas mileage so we need less gasoline. So you'd expect that to mean better gas prices, right? Well not so fast, the U.S. Energy Department expects gas to cost about $3.61 a gallon this year compared with the current $3.55 a gallon right now in Philadelphia. Research shows that when gas costs more than $3.30 a gallon, consumers pull back and don't drive as much. It's another reason why demand could be down.
6at4, stock market, economy, alaska, air travel, unemployment, gas prices, business/finance
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish 54 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill 34 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar