6at4 Business Report: Alaska comes to Philly; Gas prices keep rising
February 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- The price at the pumps is expected to keep climbing, plus a new airline is going to make stops in Philadelphia.
Alaska Airlines comes to Philadelphia
Alaska Airlines will begin flying in and out of Philadelphia this summer. The carrier is starting non-stop service between Philadelphia and its main hub in Seattle on July 11th. Alaska Airlines is offering introductory fares for $190 each way, which includes all taxes and fees. But you have to book by February 13th for travel through the end of August. Alaska Airlines ranked highest in customer satisfaction by a survey completed by JD Power and Associates.
Looking to make a career change? According to the U.S. Labor Department here are the five fastest growing industries: Registered nurses; Retail sales people; Home health aides; Personal care aides; and Office clerks. Unfortunately, home health aides and personal care aides are low-paying positions because they look after the elderly but do not administer medications. These industries are slated to be the fastest growing in America for this decade.
There are more signs the economy is expanding. Job openings in the U.S. increased in December for the first time in three months. more openings mean U.S. companies may be looking beyond the European financial crisis and making plans to expand this year.
Gas prices seem to be heading in the wrong direction! The U.S. lowered its forecast for U.S. gas demand this year because fewer teens are getting their licenses and all those newer cars have better gas mileage so we need less gasoline. So you'd expect that to mean better gas prices, right? Well not so fast, the U.S. Energy Department expects gas to cost about $3.61 a gallon this year compared with the current $3.55 a gallon right now in Philadelphia. Research shows that when gas costs more than $3.30 a gallon, consumers pull back and don't drive as much. It's another reason why demand could be down.
6at4, stock market, economy, alaska, air travel, unemployment, gas prices, business/finance
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 4 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos